Monday 6 June 2011

PRKP-1030 : Failed to start the service

I had this issue on 11g Release 1 RAC database whereby I tried to start the service after the RAC database was started.

This is what exactly happened and how I resolved it:
RAC DB Name: dbtst
RAC service Name: dbtst_taf
Node 1 name: mrac01

I started my RAC database:
$ srvctl start database -d dbtst

I checked whether the service got started with it and started the service:
$ srvctl status service -d dbtst -s dbtst_taf
Service dbtst_taf is not running.

$ srvctl start service -d dbtst -s dbtst_taf
PRKP-1030 : Failed to start the service dbtst_taf.
CRS-0215: Could not start resource 'ora.dbtst.dbtst_taf.dbtst1.srv'.
This was really weird as my service was not running and I could not start it up.
I checked the $ORACLE_HOME/log/mrac01/racg/imon_dbtst.log and found the following errors right at bottom:
2011-06-01 16:23:52.501: [    RACG][1274415424] [19659][1274415424][ora.dbtst.dbtst_taf.dbtst1.srv]: ORA-44305: service dbtst_taf is running
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_SYS_ERROR", line 86
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_SERVICE", line 444
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_SERVICE", line 365
ORA-06512: at line 1
It tells me that the service is already running within the database.
I connected to the instance via sqlplus issue the following:

SQL> show parameter service
NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
------------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------
service_names                        string      dbtst, dbtst_taf
So the service is already running within the database but it is not registered in the server control. Hence, I stopped the service in the database:
SQL> exec dbms_service.stop_service('dbtst_taf');
PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.
And then tried to start the service from the server control utility and WALLA!!!!
$ srvctl start service -d dbtst -s dbtst_taf
$ srvctl status service -d dbtst_taf
Service dbtst_taf is running on instance(s) dbtst1,dbtst2

I have yet to test whether this is fixed in 11.2 database.

2 comments: